8/18/2014

Climbing Places by Chessie

Hey Frank-ster!

   Probably won’t be able to call you a youngster too much longer now that you are getting three squares a day of good food and growing by leaps and bounds.  You’ll be all grown up very soon!  And speaking of leaps and bounds...

   I mentioned before I'm a climber – whenever I am stressed, or annoyed, or just to scare my Mom a bit when I want to show her how fearless I am.  I have always climbed to the highest tops of cabinets and big, tall pieces of furniture wherever my Mom and I have lived.  She has tried every way possible to stop me, but I am fearless and wait until she goes away from our house, and then I climb up high and sleep all day.  When she returns, if I am not waiting for her at the garage door – she knows where to look for me.


   Unfortunately, my very favorite place to climb is on top of a big, old piece of furniture Mom calls a breakfront – why I do not know – strange word!  But when I have climbed up there in the past and then jump down, I land on my front paw pads and hurt them.  One especially gets all swollen and sore and sometimes bleeds, and then I limp around looking forlorn and seeking sympathy.  Mom told the Vet when he was looking at my bloody paw that it was getting old and I was too smart to keep hurting myself.  Soooo he told her to put aluminum foil on top of the chair and it would prevent me from getting a foothold to climb up.  Hisssss!  He was right – I can’t get up on top of the breakfront anymore, unless we have visitors to the house and then she takes the foil away.  Then as soon as Mom’s  not looking – I jump up on the breakfront, curl up and go to sleep.  She doesn’t even know  I’m there!  Until I jump down – ouch!  It’s the challenge I like.


   The kitchen cabinets are easier, and that’s where I go most often because Mom can’t block the path = I jump from the kitchen counter – shhhhh! – don’t tell her, but I think she might know already, and then on top of the refrigerator then up to the tippy-top of the cabinets and walk along the edge, in and around and through the baskets she had put up there to stop me from climbing... drives her crazy, but she has to get a big ladder – a funny looking portable thingy with steps on it (which I also like to climb, if I get the opportunity!)  So, she usually leaves me alone when I climb in the kitchen.  It is a lovely, snug place; I can spend the whole day up there and no one knows I’m there, unless they hear me snoring!


   Well, all this talk about a nap has made me tired, so I think I’ll go get a snack in the kitchen and then climb into my cozy basket for a snooze.  Catch you later, Chessie


No comments:

Post a Comment