9/17/2014

Talking With Birdies & Yummy Butter by Chessie

Good day Frankie!

   How are you doing?  I’ve still been enjoying the lazy last days of summer.  The weather has been lovely, not too hot here at the beach with a gentle breeze, so Mom has had the kitchen slider open and I can smell the flowers on the patio and hear all the birds chirping.  The wild birds get fed seed every morning very early, right after I get my breakfast (I eat before everybody else in the house, even Mom’s friends who visit!)


   Anyway, I watch all the fluttering about under the big ol’ pine tree where the seed is, and sometimes the little wrens and sparrows come onto the patio looking for a stray ant or two.  They are quite funny, they come right up to the open screen door and turn their heads carefully watching me, and all I do  is sit very still.  If they get too close, I will make a little chattering noise under my breath, but I guess they don’t hear too well – ‘cause it doesn’t frighten them away. I always wonder if I could catch one, but the screen is firmly closed over the door.  I tried to open it with my paw once but Mom said ‘no!’ very sternly.


   I’ll watch the birds and the big, very fat squirrels in the yard until I hear the toaster pop up.  Then I make a quick jump up on the kitchen island and wait for Mom to bring me the knife she has buttered her toast with.  Yum!  I only get a little lick of melted butter from the tip of the knife - on those mornings she had a piece of toasted homemade bread – just enough, but no more.  I love melted butter, not the cold hard stuff tho’.  The bread smells good too, but only ‘cause it has warm butter melting in the nooks and crannies. I sniffed some toast crumbs one morning, but there wasn’t any melted butter on them – ugh.  I don’t really like any of the food Mom calls ‘people food.’ Just butter.  If I could only get her to put melted butter on my food.  Gotta go work on that idea.


Catch up later, Chessie

No comments:

Post a Comment